Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Here or Hereafter

I have to say that Clint Eastwood is probably one of the best storytellers of all time. He really has his finger on the pulse of the story, how to inspire his actors to award nominations as well as developing his signature sound with his background music. I wasn't an early Eastwood fan - my husband is and has stuck by him for decades - I, myself took my own time.

'Hereafter' is a story about an American man who is able to make a "connection" with people who have passed away, a French journalist's experience in an Tsunami and a British boy's struggle with his own loss. Each storyline is poignant and interesting as they try to figure out some basic (and currently unanswered) questions about life and death...namely...what happens when we die and are those who have gone truly gone?

These aren't easy questions and I am by no means an expert in this subject, but this movie explores several different aspects of how these questions (and lack of answers) affect us all...perhaps not all at the same time, but certainly at some point in all our lives. I don't think that we have to wait until we die to understand it all...I think that people have different experiences with life and death all the time, but these are sometimes disregarded or ignored. When we, as individuals, are ready to accept the uncertainties, I think that more will become clear. Perhaps this is just 'happy, go lucky' Allison speaking, but really can you tell me for certain that I'm wrong. Anyone who claims to have any understanding with the world beyond is almost always classified as nuts and everyone rolls their eyes...but what if we are the ones who just don't get it.

When my grandfather passed away, it certainly made me feel better to think that even though his body was physically in the ground, his soul was watching from the sky or heavens and keeping a close eye on me and my family. Silly of course, one young woman's crazy attachment to her grandfather or perhaps not.

This movie pushes you to think differently about people who claim that they have 'psychic powers' or people who have had some type out out of body (0r mind) experience. Who are we to judge anyone else's experiences or knowledge without having our own to compare it to? I definitely felt more sympathetic than I normally do when dealing with things that aren't tangible to me and lord knows that I am a tangible type of gal.

Well, I apologize, I've certainly digressed enough...let's get back to the movie. The music was great...all Eastwood compositions, of course...I'm getting to love his signature, jazzy sound. The acting was effortless and smooth. It was as if Matt Damon had played this Psychic role for many, many years, tormented by his gift and not being able to accept or manage it. The French journalist, Cecile de France was fantastic. I haven't seen her in anything else so far, but I'll be checking her out on imdb.com to try to rent some of her other works. She is lovely and holds herself with such grace on screen. Twins Frankie and George McLaren were absolutely fabulous as the young boy searching for some answers and understanding about death. Clear emotions, easy transitions, it really was a pleasure to watch them on screen, together and separately. The supporting cast was also good, an aging yet engaging Jay Mohr and the always lovely and charismatic Bryce Dallas Howard just to mention a couple.
The movie didn't move fast or blind you with insane special effects, though I have to say that the Tsunami scene is absolutely horrifying and frighteningly realistic. I welcomed the movie's slow pace. It allowed me to create relationships with the onscreen characters and sympathize with each of them at different times and yet throughout the entire movie. Eastwood's direction was steady and the writing was even and unsurprising. Given the over the top explosive blockbusters that have been inundating our multiplexes recently, this was a pleasure. Emotionally draining - yes, but a pleasure none the less. What else do you have in store for us next year, Mr. Eastwood?

No comments:

Post a Comment