Sunday, November 21, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 1

Last night my husband and I went to see the new HP film, part one of the last two films left in the incredibly successful JK Rowling series. We carefully planned our evening, so that we could try and avoid hysterical lineups, frustration and the frigid weather outside...so we arrived at the theatre at 540pm...and found ourselves sitting warmly in a dark theatre by 615pm for the 700pm show...pheew. It's always interesting going to HP movies on their opening weekends, as usually it's only dire hard HP fanatics that go and spend the time to wait in line and re-read the books 100 times (no that's silly, I've read them about 20 times a piece). The line ups are filled with people talking about the books, reading the books, giving away bits of information about the movies or just generally being super excited to see their favorite characters living out the stories on the big screen. I myself, in case you haven't realized yet...is one of these fanatics.
This movie is very true to the book...it's the only movie so far, that I wasn't disappointed in the film. I've always gone to see the movies several times in the theatres as I always get disappointed in the first viewing, I'm sure I'm the only person on the planet who WOULD sit for 9 hours in a movie theatre, so that they can put all the extra information from the books in the movies, but I do relunctantly understand why they can't. This chapter is very dark and scary and filled with death. I've been sitting here trying to sum up and give a general story line to this film, but really I know too much. Harry, Ron and Hermione set off to locate and destroy Horcruxes...Dumbledore had left Harry this task and so the three of them set off together to put the pieces in motion so that Lord Voldemort can indeed be killed at the end. Now along their way, there are house elves, thieves, death eaters, snatchers, Nagini, patronuses, young love, broken wands, the imperious curse, wizarding fables and a Weasley wedding. Sigh...and I didn't even scratch the surface. I can't go on, I'll give too much away...and if you don't understand...pick up a BOOK and enjoy the great read.
One of the criticisms of the movie, I've heard is that it can't stand alone as a film without all the HP knowledge that one should have to help you understand...I have one thing to say about all that...
OF COURSE IT CAN'T STAND ALONE...IT'S THE 1ST PART OF THE SEVENTH FILM FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE...BE REASONABLE PEOPLE. IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HARRY POTTER - READ THE BOOKS AND THEN SEE THE MOVIE. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!
There, I feel better now that I've gotten that out of my system.
The movie is an intense and very frightening 2 1/2 hours. We were going to bring our 10year old, but I'm not sure any more. For Harry Potter fans, this will be a movie to remember, well written, great effects and the kids aren't kids any more - they are more mature and can handle themselves on screen with much more realistic conviction and ease than before.
I can't believe that we now have to wait until mid July before the final chapter comes to the theatres...oh well, I guess I'll have to go back again this week to experience this one again. Who wants to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment