Monday, April 12, 2010

Longest Date Night Ever



Every week, my husband and I go on a date night. It used to be Saturday evenings, but apparently, we were cramping my teenager's social life, so we've moved it to Sundays. Have you ever seen an early evening film on it's opening weekend on a Sunday evening? It's fabulous...there's nobody there.
Ok, I have digressed...let's get to the point...last night on our date night, I saw "Date Night" with Tina Fey and Steve Carrell. I really wanted to see something light and fluffy, so it was either "A Single Man" or this...yeah the choice was pretty easy. I went into this film, thinking that I would have a fine time, the movie would be cutzy but nothing special. What a surprise! I really enjoyed this movie. It's the story of a couple who after many years of marriage have settled into a mundane routine. They decide to shake up their weekly date night (sound familiar) at the local restaurant - where they order the same food every time (at least we go to different places) - and go and have an expensive dinner in New York City. Once at the restaurant, they are trapped in a web of mistaken identity which throws them into crazy situations. That NEVER happens on my date nights!
I was not expecting to laugh in this film, but it was pretty impossible not to. The writing is quite decent, the situations were hilarious and Tina Fey is great. I think that she is absolutely fearless comedically. Steve Carrell is still a bit bumbling for me, but he's easier to take in this film. Their chemistry got better throughout the film...the beginning was a little strange, but it all seemed to come together at the end.
One of the lovely surprises was Mark Wahlberg, who plays an old client of Tina's (she's a realtor), who is fantastic and by the way - his Hebrew is remarkable! Mila Kunis and James Franco are also funny, charming and a little scary.
It's really a story about a couple who were in danger of losing themselves and each other who end up discovering all the great things that made them fall in love in the first place. There were some parts which hit a bit too close to home, but that's what made the movie good. The thoughts and feelings came from a real place, but what they did with them was pretty impossible and some were extremely funny to watch.
Was this my favorite movie??? Well, no...but it was a fast paced, adult oriented comedy about family life that dabbled in the insane. I'm glad I watched it with my husband, there were mostly couples in the audience so it felt like the entire theatre was on a date night and it was a fun way of spending our evening. Who knew that Marky Mark (without a shirt, mind you) would be so much fun? (Ok, seriously - that was totally rhetorical)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sweetie, wanna go to New York for dinner this Sunday? Ok, too wild... How about Langley instead?

    ReplyDelete