Saturday, April 24, 2010

Is it really? No! Really?? It's Avatar.

Sometimes I'm wrong. There I've said it. It does happen occasionally, so I figured when it does I should fess up and be honest. When I heard that James Cameron was making this film, I really thought that this was such a horrible idea. James Cameron...he's a decent film maker but really his scripts are horrible and are so basic. Since Titanic, I really lost a lot of respect for him and was not looking forward to this new film.

I saw the film a couple of months ago and I have to say that it didn't speak to me. I thought that the computer generated creatures and lcoations were very nice but that doesn't make a film. What about the storyline, the acting, the characters? I really felt like once again, Cameron came in and went for more expensive thrills instead of a decent story. I looked at the movie like it was an animated attempt for a comeback for Cameron...can you tell that I wasn't impressed. I saw the movie with my hubby and just wasn't into it.

When Nat suggested that we go again this past week, I thought well, ok, I'll sit through it again. Maybe I'll like it more than before if not let's sit at the back and I'll play on my iphone. Now wait for it...I LOVED IT! I sat there next to Nat and soaked up every minute of the music, the beautiful colors and interesting creatures.

I was completely enchanted with this film. I can't believe that I am writing this, but I really enjoyed this film. I thought that the nature themes that he included were very timely and appropriate. I even appreciated the writing more the second time around, but still I don't feel like Cameron's strength is in his script writing...directing yes, producing yes, writing...not so much, but I will admit that he's getting better.

This time around, the movie overwhelmed me. It conjured up all sorts of feelings and emotions. I got completley inveolved with the film, hook line and sinker. I cried. I laughed. I cried more. I smiled. I cried more. I enjoyed it and then I cried more.

I tried to understand the film as a whole and give myself completely while I watched it. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD, I'd like to show my daughter. The first thing I did when I got home was chat with my son, about how I had changed my opionion of the film. He smiled and listened to me as I described my experience the second time around. He was suprised. I was surprised. I can't wait to see it again and go back to Pandora.

No comments:

Post a Comment